Needham History Center & Museum Needham History Center & Museum, Needham Massachusetts 02492

Town Hall and Downtown Images

     

    Town Hall and Downtown Images

    The first image of Town Hall, taken just after completion in winter 1903. Shows the three-path walkway. Those little sticks near the path are trees, flanking the part of the path that leads toward the doors.
    Part of a traffic study done by DPW in 1935, showing the trees along the Highland Av side, and some small pines and a maple on the Common.
    Needham Bicentennial, 1911.
    Wider view, same year – shows the tree placement and bandstand
    Colorized postcard, 1907
    The Common from the cupola of TH, looking toward GPA, circa 1920.  The bandstand was built in 1911 for the Bicentennial, and rebuilt/moved to Memorial Park in 1924.
    View from the TH cupola, late 40s/early 50s.  The large rectangle in front of the flagpole is the WW2 memorial plaque (see below).
    Destruction of the Odd Fellows Hall and Needham Center Station by fire (arson!) in May 1887. The pic is taken from the top of the old livery stables in what is now the station parking lot,and looks southeast toward the corner of GPA and Chapel St.  The white horse is on Chapel, and the Common is the empty field in the left center.  There is a flagpole and a platform (used for?), and the beginnings of a worn path from the corner toward Highland.
    View from Highland Ave (in front of the bank) looking toward Chapel Street in 1959.  Tom’s taxi is about where the Citizens Bank is now.
    The WW2 monument, with the flagpole and Blue Tree behind it, 1946.
    **From here and below, the pictures are suggestions for the transformer box wraps

    Color postcard – GPA looking east from the tracks, c 1910

    Color postcard, GPA looking west from corner of Highland, c 1910
    Color postcard, same view, c 1920
    The Moseley Building at the corner of Great Plain and Chestnut, c 1880. The man is standing in front of the future Harvey’s
    The Ingols Block on Chapel Street,  c 1890. It was built in 1880 and is the oldest standing building in the downtown (now Pura Vida)
    Needham Center Station, as rebuilt after the fire of 1887 (picture c 1890)
    Miss Boyd’s Millinery, at the corner of GPA (bear left) and Dedham Av (bear right), c 1880
    Adams Brothers Grocery, in the Moseley Building, SW corner of GPA and Chestnut, c 1920
    Crossman’s Market, the Moseley Building (same corner, earlier date), c 1880
    The Odd Fellows Building (before it burned down), c 1885. SE corner of GPA and Chapel