Needham History Center & Museum Needham History Center & Museum, Needham Massachusetts 02492
 

43. Needham Heights Common

Land for a Common in the Heights was purchased in 1884 from landowner Isaac Burr, to form a focal point for the growing village. Before this time, the land around the train station was open fields and farms. The main roads, Highland Avenue and Webster Street, did not reach as far as the Center.

Development and industry arrived in the Heights in the 1850s, as knitters from the English Midlands, displaced by industrialization, brought over their looms and settled in this area. The most famous of these was William Carter (Site #44). The knitting industry grew, and needed new workers. Population grew along with the knitting mills, and within a few years shops, factories, and residences began to fill in the space around the Common.

Back to Map 3 – Needham Heights

Back to Main Page