Needham History Center & Museum Needham History Center & Museum, Needham Massachusetts 02492
 

39. Needham High School

Needham’s first High School (1865) consisted of rented rooms above a store; in the mid-19th century, only a handful of students went to school beyond the 6th or 7th grade unless they aspired to a profession. In the 1870s, the high school classes were moved to the top floor of the Kimball Grammar School on School Street, where they also shared space with the fledgling Public Library.

Not until the 1890s were there enough High School students (about 10-15 in each of the three grades!) to justify a school of their own, but thereafter the number of students began to grow rapidly. The first Needham High School building was the (now-called) Emery Grover Building on Highland Avenue, built in 1898 (Site #34), which housed three grades and about 40 students.  However, significant additional space was needed by the 1920s (Highland Avenue School), and finally the High School building we still use, in 1930.

Back to Map 2 – Needham Center

Back to Main Page