Needham History Center & Museum Needham History Center & Museum, Needham Massachusetts 02492
 

32. the Ingols Block/Hotel Nehoiden (95 Chapel Street)

The commercial building at 95 Chapel Street was built sometime prior to 1880, one of several commercial properties owned by Caroline Ingols. It was originally known as the “Ingols Block” after its owner, and housed a number of retail establishments, including the J. A. Tilton Company which sold stoves, grain, feed and poultry supplies. The building was later converted into a hotel, first the Hotel Union House-McKenzie, and later the Hotel Nehoiden. It is now again a retail site.

The small building to its right is of similar age, and once housed a photographic studio and the press room for the Needham Chronicle.  Because of the rapid pace of development since 1900, there are very few old buildings left in the downtown. The Ingols Block and its small neighbor are the oldest, predating the rest by at least three decades.

Back to Map 2 – Needham Center

Back to Main Page