Needham History Center & Museum Needham History Center & Museum, Needham Massachusetts 02492
 

27. Roche Bros. First Needham Store (1004 Great Plain Avenue)

Pat and Bud Roche opened their first Roche Brothers store in Roslindale, in 1952. They started with a meat and produce store, but as business grew they expanded in 1957 to include a grocery department. The company’s second store was opened in 1959, when Roche Bros. bought Crossman’s Market in Needham, on the corner of Chestnut Street and Great Plain Avenue.

In need of more space, Roche Bros. moved to its current building on Chestnut Street in 1965 and Harvey’s Hardware moved into the old location. The company, now based in Wellesley, operates 18 stores in the greater Boston area and on the Cape, including a second Needham store – Sudbury Farms on Highland Avenue – which opened in 1990.

Back to Map 2 – Needham Center

Back to Main Page