Needham History Center & Museum Needham History Center & Museum, Needham Massachusetts 02492
 

14. the Amos Fuller House (220 Nehoiden Street)

Amos Fuller was a descendant of one of Needham’s founding families, and his great-grandfather was an original settler of the Dedham Grant in 1635. Fuller served the town for over 30 years, as Selectman, Assessor, and Treasurer.  This house is a classic example of the type of farmhouse that was most common in Needham in the 18th and 19th centuries. It was built for Amos Fuller in 1754, at the time of his marriage to Sarah Kingsbury (daughter of another of the town’s original families), and it remained in the Fuller family for two generations. At the time it was built, it stood right along the town’s main road, and only a short distance from the town center and Meeting House.

The house was nearly lost in 1897 when a new owner decided to increase space and revenue by dismantling the large central fireplace and selling the bricks – until he realized that the central chimney was the main support for the structure.  The large barn probably dates to the 1830s; it is believed to be the oldest standing barn in Needham.

The property was purchased by the McCracken family in the 1920s, and renamed Hearthstone Farm. In 1928 the family gave the portion of the property that faces Rosemary Lake to the Girl Scouts for use as a camp. The camp was called Camp Malcolm, in memory of one of the McCracken’s sons.

Back to Map 2 – Needham Center

Back to Main Page