Needham History Center & Museum Needham History Center & Museum, Needham Massachusetts 02492
 

13. the Luther Morse House (190 Nehoiden Street)

Luther Morse was a blacksmith, originally from Sherborn. In 1829 he purchased a small piece of property on Nehoiden Street and built his smithy on pilings over the margin of Blacksmith Pond. A couple of years later he married, and acquired an adjacent parcel to build this house.

Morse owned the house only briefly – he died at the young age of 38. The property, through a succession of owners, continued in use as a smithy or manufacturing site thanks to its access to Blacksmith’s Pond (Site #12) and to the streams that ran into it.  In addition to Morse’s house, several of the adjacent properties were also smithies, including the property of Isaac Greenwood across the street, and John Fitzgerald’s next door.

By the 1920s, manufacturing activities had ceased.  The neighborhood blacksmiths moved to the Great Plain to be closer to the train station.  The house became the setting for an antiques business, as it remains to this day.

Back to Map 2 – Needham Center

Back to Main Page