Needham History Center & Museum Needham History Center & Museum, Needham Massachusetts 02492
 

21. Trout Pond

Before the 1950s, Trout Pond was generally known as McIntosh’s Pond – a small pond along the many streams that connected to the Fuller Brook. The McIntosh family owned much of the land in this area, and used the pond to farm and store ice for their Needham Ice Company from the 1870s until the mid-20th century. Well-stored pond ice could last until the summer, and was a valued commodity.

The pond was acquired by the Needham Sportsman’s Club in 1954, and it has since come to be known as Sportsman’s Pond (after the Club) or simply Trout Pond, for its primary inhabitant. The Club, with the assistance of the MA Dept. of Fish and Game, stocks the pond with brown and rainbow trout.  The pond is private property, and fishing is reserved for members only.  Club rules require that only fly fishing is allowed, and all fishing is catch-and-release.

In addition to members’ fishing, the Sportsman’s Club teams with Needham Park & Rec each spring for the annual Fishing Derby.

Back to Map 1 – West of Needham Center

Back to Main Page