Needham History Center & Museum Needham History Center & Museum, Needham Massachusetts 02492
 

1. the McIntosh Tavern Site (1453 Great Plain Ave.)

John Lewis Krimmel, Village Tavern (1814)

McIntosh’s Tavern, like any good pub, was the town’s social gathering place.  The tavern was established in 1819 by Maj. Ebenezer McIntosh, son of Needham’s Revolutionary War hero, Col. William McIntosh. William himself had kept an “open house” in the years after the War. The tavern made its own beer and ale (most households did), and was also licensed to sell distilled spirits.

As a public house and inn, the tavern was located at the intersection of the coach roads to accommodate travelers. It was a drop-off spot for goods, and a resting place for travelers. Travelers were not only a source of income, but they also brought the latest news – a welcome combination.

For the locals, the tavern was also a meeting place for town activities, public meetings and lectures. The large tavern hall could hold many people, and was ideal for selectmen’s meetings (the Town paid the charges for candles, liquor, etc), Coroner’s juries, and social events and dances. The tavern remained in the McIntosh family until around 1840. The building burned down in 1844. The chimney and hearths survived the fire and were incorporated into the rebuilt house, still standing on this site.

More about the Taverns

Back to Map 1 – West of Needham Center

Back to Main Page